Friday, August 22, 2008

She swallowed what?


TWO TRIPS TO URGENT CARE IN TWO WEEKS! So last week Brookie thought she was a monkey and decided to jump off my bed... but I had stopped and realized I hadn't said my prayers that morning so I folded my arms and closed my eyes when Brookie decided to jump to me.... she bounced off of me and bumped her head against the wood side rail of our bed. I didn't think she had gotten more than a bump until I saw the blood everywhere... well it ended up not being too bad... the urgent care said that they could give her one staple on her head but since it was at the back of her hair it didn't really matter....unless she ever planned on shaving her head...so they didn't do anything but clean it up and wrap her head in a cute purple bandage...
This Week.... So two nights ago we were laying on the couch watching the Olympics... when all of a sudden I could hear Brookie choking... So I sat her up and was about to do the Heimlich when I heard a big gulp... Then I looked in her hand and she was holding a small amount of change... I asked her if she ate one and she said yes... So I took her to the sink and tried to get her to barf (which according to poison control you are not supposed to do) and all we got was food.... so I called poison control and looked up online to see what we should do... well they gave me some reassurance and said that most of the time it passes into their stomach and out their poop... there are those rare cases when it gets trapped or passes into the lungs...so they told me to call my pediatrician and see what they advised... so I did and they said to look out for pain in the throat and chest area difficulty breathing, diarrhea, throw up, etc... So I thought oh good I think we should be okay and not have to go to the pediatric urgent care all the way across town... when in came Brookie rubbing her chest... I asked her if it hurt and she said yes... so off we went to make sure she didn't swallow it into her lungs... and after an x-ray they determined it was well on her way to her stomach... but now I have to go through her poop to make sure it makes it's way out..... I am so not looking forward to that adventure! I'll be sure to let everyone know if it is a penny, nickel, dime, or quarter!

2 comments:

Natalie said...

Ahhh! Heather that is awful! Good thing it is on its way to her stomach and not her lungs. You've had too many scary things to deal with!

Stephanie Grant said...

Hey Heather this is Stephanie Natalie's sister. Holy cow what a stressful thing to go through. My baby Lily fell out of my shopping cart and broke her nose. I have had so much anxiety over it. Your girls are so so beautiful. You are a good mom I love how you talk about your girls.