I had to make the sad decision to put our favorite dog Duke to sleep on Wednesday. He would have been six at the end of December, and when I brought him to the vet in October I thought there was something wrong, but the vet said that it was very unlikely that it would be cancer. However, after some further testing they said that he had leukemia. We were very sad. Many tears were shed. I've had a lot of pets throughout my life and he was by far the best dog I've ever owned. We found out in October. He was 91 lbs in June, and weighed 78 lbs in October, and 72 lbs on the day we had him put to sleep. (he's supposed to be about 110 lbs) Everything just went right through the poor doggie. These pictures and videos were taken on the day we had him put to sleep. I was torn on rather or not we should do it yet. He always looked so happy! The question was very hard to answer wether if we should wait until he was in a lot of pain first, or let him go as a happy dog before the real pain hit. (he was definitely uncomfortable already -he had to stop playing at the park 4 times in 1 hour just to go potty with what little he had still in his system) But in the end I decided that now was the time. (My mom said that leukemia is supposed to be a very painful cancer) As sad as I am, I feel really bad for our other dog Duchess. We have had them together since they were both puppies. She has been in the backyard crying since I took Duke to the vet. I love the Kaitlyn's faith. She told me that I don't need to cry because Duke went to heaven., and Grandma Engel is watching him.
1 comment:
I'm so sorry Heather, I got tears in my eyes reading your post. It's great that you could give him a best last day.
Post a Comment