Friday, January 30, 2009

Brookie's Surgery

So yesterday Brookie was coming down the stairs (or so we think... nobody saw what happened) and somehow face-planted on the travertine floor at the bottom of the stairs. Well it looked like she had a bloody nose...which freaked me out enough to run across the street to nurse Nancy's house... but after further evaluation from my great neighbor (who really is a nurse) we figured out that she did not just have a bloody nose... She tore her nostril apart from her cheek. It basically looked like she used to wear a nose ring and someone stood directly in front of her and pulled it out slicing her nostril... sorry for the detail... and to make it worse she also pulled the nostril away from her cheek, making a nice deep cut about the length of my pinkie finger nail across her cheek. You could lift up the cut a little and see directly into her nose from the side of her cheek. So we went to the new urgent care office across the street from our subdivision. The doctor there didn't even make us check in because she said we would be better off going to a pediatric plastic surgeon in case she needed to be sedated. She was so nice. She made some calls to her doctor friends at the hospital and arranged for us to go to a pediatric plastic surgeon's office so he could repair her nose. Dr. Goldstein called her back and said he was in surgery all day but could fit her in between surgeries. (Did I say that the urgent care doctor was SOOOOO NICE... she spent between 15-20 min on the phone trying to get ahold of a doctor that would fit us in) Have I ever mentioned how awesome it is to have great friends... My other neighbor Anna was nice enough to stop everything she was doing and come pick us up from urgent care and take us to Dr. Goldstein's office 30 min away, and spend the next FIVE hours with us while we were waiting for Brookies surgery!!! What an awesome friend!!! (Did I mention that I didn't have Anna's cell phone number programed into my cell phone... all I knew was that it was a (602) number, but I had a number come into my head, I tried it and when Anna answered it was truly a miracle!!!! The Lord was watching over us! I had never memorized her number before, and when I call her cell I usally just go back on our caller id at home and it dials it for me. It was an awesome miracle!!!) I couldn't get ahold of Brendan all day yesterday, so we would have been stuck if it wasn't for Anna saving the day!!! (side note...we only have one car) So Dr. Goldstein fit Brookie in and reattached her nostril to her cheek and sewed up her cheek... so now Brookie has a decent amount of stiches around her nose. She doesn't seem to be too bothered by it... although she HATED the surgery...She was crying so much when they let me come back in the room! Kaitlyn is actually the one who is constantly worried about Brookie getting blood on her, or Brookie's nose bleeding... Kaitlyn hates injuries, blood and is very vocal about how much it bothers her. We are all very happy and greatful for such great friends and inspiration! We are so happy Brookie is doing well! The doctor said her stiches should be out within one week and the entire thing should be healed within 1 1/2 years (no scars).

3 comments:

shelly said...

Heather, I'm so glad that everything worked out for Brookie. I can't handle blood, and so far we have been blessed with no serious injuries in Tate's life. Okay, I dislocated his elbow, but at least it was an easy fix with no blood, poor guy. Anyway, that's an awesome story about how everything worked out. It's so comforting to know that we're all being watched over!

mistyb said...

oh man, I'm so glad she's ok, what a scary day! Glad you have such great friends to help you out!

Josi said...

Wow! What a day! Good neighbors and friends are so great. Glad Brookie is doing better!